Joseph Kiselewski was born in Minnesota and graduated from the Minneapolis School of Art. While in New York City, Kiselewski worked for sculptor Lee Lawrie. He was honored with several prestigious awards including the Prix de Rome in 1926-1929 and the J. Sanford Saltus Medal in 1970. As a result of the Prix de Rome award, he was sent to the American Academy in Rome on a fellowship. Kiselewski was elected an Associate of the National Academy of Design in 1936 and an Academician in 1944. He also designed several medals for the United States Army. Four of Kiselewskiʼs sculptures are in the public art collection of the Bronx, in New York City.